The Leflore Family-est 2/2006

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, November 10, 2011

All Gave Some! Some Gave All!

You know there are things you love about your Dad. A couple of the main reasons I love my Dad is his courage and love for his country. Yes, there are many other reasons I love my Dad, his love of God, knowledge, wisdom, and simply because he is my Dad, but his courage and love for our country stick out to me every time I look at him.

My Dad was drafted in 1969 to the Vietnam conflict at the young age of 21. One of the stories my Dad always told me was, if I ever get drafted to a war don't tell the draft office I like to hunt. When he appeared before the draft board that was one of the conversations he held with the officers in charge. He told them how much he liked to hunt. So that is what they did. They put him in the bush or jungle to hunt Vietnamese. From what I gather from him, he stayed in the bush for 9 months and spent another 9 months working in camp and searching for mines. You know when I look at the pictures below, I see a kid. A kid that gave all to his country except his life, but some of the others weren't so lucky they gave all. He won't talk a lot  to anyone about what happened or what he saw, but you can see it deep in his eyes if you bring up the subject of war.

I want to thank you Dad for what you did and the sacrifice you made for this country. I love you and will always have great respect for you not only because you are my Dad, but the courage you showed in protecting freedom and your love of this country we all live in.

I ask anyone that is reading this, find someone that is a veteran and shake their hand, give them a hug, or buy them lunch for their service on this Veteran's Day. I appreciate all you guys that served something bigger than yourself.







1 comment:

Amy Jo said...

Rocky,
That is so sweet! Thanks for sharing that about your dad.